Today, the modern era offers constant advancements in technology and new inventions that have provided comfort and conveniences for the people.
However, the real-world knowledge and skills to survive are needed more and more, because the majority of people have never had the chance to learn in their life.
This lack of knowledge will have large consequences in taking care of the families and yourselves.
Having that in mind, in order to survive if the current system suddenly collapses, it is very important to know the basics of life. That can be directly linked to natural disasters that happen all the time.
For that reason, teaching the children to grow their own food would be one of the measures of surviving, and can be a priceless lesson.
According to the researchers, when children grow their food, they develop “food empathy”, which is a deeper connection with food. By doing that on a longer period of time it will lead to a healthier life and better diets. Kids will learn about healthy food (veggies and fruits) and understand nutrition better.
IT IS USUAL THAT PEOPLE OF ALL AGES ENJOY GARDENING, BUT GROWING FOOD FOR CHILDREN CAN GET THE MOST FUN, AND DEVELOP THEIR SKILLS LIKE:
- Responsibility –they should follow the rules about growing plants
- Physical activity – do productive and fun things
- Reasoning and discovery – they need a lot of knowledge about the weather, plants, animals, nutrition, the environment, and simple construction
- Creativity – helps in discovering new and exciting ways to grow food
- Understanding – they learn about the effects and causes
- Nutrition – having knowledge about where fresh food comes from
- Love of nature – in a safe and pleasant place they learn about the outdoor environment
- Self-confidence – enjoying the food they have grown they achieve their goals
- Cooperation – their work includes teamwork and shared play activity
Even the famous chefs, such as Raymond Blanc has called for gardening lessons to be made compulsory in schools in order to help kids learn the value of organic foods and healthy eating.
HIS THEORY OF HEALTHY FOOD IS BASED ON THE GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO TRULY RECONNECT WITH FOOD, AND AVOIDING SOME SIDE EFFECTS OF CONSUMING HEAVILY PROCESSED FOODS, SUCH AS:
Children will have the opportunity to learn the simple magic of taking food from the seed, from the earth or from the rivers. Following that knowledge about the food, they will be able to turn into something simple and delicious.
What do you think of this idea?